Snyder looks to be our LT 1B solution

JTrea81

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Steve Garvey, John Olerud, Kieth Hernandez, Don Mattingly, I pity the fools who had to put up with these mooks at 1B.:rolleyestf:

Olerud and Hernandez both had high OBP, something that Snyder does not. Mattingly hit 30+ HR and drove in 100 RBI during his prime with the Yankees. Garvey was a GG at 1B, something Snyder is definitely not.

Snyder may have bits and pieces, but he certainly doesn't have the total package of these successful ML 1B men, so you can't really compare him with those players...

Blah blah blah

How many HRs and RBIs he hits is irrelevant. Its entirely possible for a player with 20 HR to be much more productive than a guy with 40. Snyder probably won't be a super high OBP guy, but he should hit for a solid average, have decent power, and have a solid OBP.

He doesn't have to hit 30+ HR to be able to play firstbase. Its a joke to suggest that he would have to.

I'll gladly take a guy at first base who hits 18-23 HRs, hits .310-.320 with a ~.875 OPS most years. No complaints there at all.

Wouldn't it be tragic if the Orioles only possible solution to first base for the next decade only hit 20-25 homers a year? My Lord, if we're stuck with a chump like Derrick Lee, Adam LaRoche, or Justin Morneau I'm going to shoot myself.

And nobody who isn't as good as Eddie Murray can start as a 1B.

:rolleyes:

Look at the production of the top 3 AL East teams first basemen. Tell me Snyder is even close to that talent...

We need the most talent we can have at every position if we are going to top those three teams and 1B is where you need a power slugger.

Look at the production of the top 3 AL East teams first basemen. Tell me Snyder is even close to that talent...
Look at the production of the top 3 AL East teams catchers. Tell me any of them are even close to the talent of Matt Wieters.

You don't have to have a top-3 player for their position all around the diamond to be a successful team.

Stop being so damn ridiculous!

Olerud and Hernandez both had high OBP, something that Snyder does not. Mattingly hit 30+ HR and drove in 100 RBI during his prime with the Yankees. Garvey was a GG at 1B, something Snyder is definitely not.

Snyder may have bits and pieces, but he certainly doesn't have the total package of these successful ML 1B men, so you can't really compare him with those players...

He's also a 21-year-old who spent last year in A ball, so you can't either.

I'm skeptical about Snyder. I think that's reasonble given his minor league record. But you've already locked in his next 10 tragically depressing years.

Wouldn't it be tragic if the Orioles only possible solution to first base for the next decade only hit 20-25 homers a year? My Lord, if we're stuck with a chump like Derrick Lee, Adam LaRoche, or Justin Morneau I'm going to shoot myself.

It's not just the HRs, it's the defense and patience and Snyder doesn't have those either. Adam LaRoche starts for the Pittsburgh Pirates so I'm not sure what you are getting at there...

Morneau may not have the HR power, but he also doesn't strike out much and is good defensively. Lee hit 30+ HR in his prime and also has very good patience at the plate and is good defensively.

Snyder just doesn't compare to these guys. They make up for the pieces they are lacking by being stellar in other areas. Snyder can't make up for his lack of patience, power or defensive ability.

We need the most talent we can have at every position if we are going to top those three teams and 1B is where you need a power slugger.

At 21 Mark Teixiera was in college. Zero pro at bats.

At 21 Carlos Pena put up a .255/.351/.457 in high A. Compare that to Snyder's .315/.358/.490 in high A at 21.

At 21 Kevin Youkilis was also in college. His career high in homers in the minors was eight.

I think Snyder fares pretty well in the comparison, especially since you hand-picked three of the best first basemen in the world to judge him against.

At 21 Mark Teixiera was in college. Zero pro at bats.

At 21 Carlos Pena put up a .255/.351/.457 in high A. Compare that to Snyder's .315/.358/.490 in high A at 21.

At 21 Kevin Youkilis was also in college. His career high in homers in the minors was eight.

I think Snyder fares pretty well in the comparison, especially since you hand-picked three of the best first basemen in the world to judge him against.

The point is the Orioles are going up against teams with three of the best first baseman in the world, so they are going to have to find a fourth if they want to surpass those teams. Snyder is not going to do that...

It's not just the HRs, it's the defense and patience and Snyder doesn't have those either. Adam LaRoche starts for the Pittsburgh Pirates so I'm not sure what you are getting at there...

Morneau may not have the HR power, but he also doesn't strike out much and is good defensively. Lee hit 30+ HR in his prime and also has very good patience at the plate and is good defensively.

Snyder just doesn't compare to these guys. They make up for the pieces they are lacking by being stellar in other areas. Snyder can't make up for his lack of patience, power or defensive ability.

At 21 Justin Morneau's career high in homers was 16, and his career high in walks was 53.

At 21 LaRoche had seven homers and 30 walks on his way to a .251/.295/.361 line in A ball. Last time I checked the Pirates were still a major league team, and LaRoche's 123 OPS+ was pretty darn productive.

Lee did have big power in his teens and early 20s, but he's the exception, not the rule.

You seem to believe, for the purposes of this argument, that players are static. That Snyder can't develop power, patience, or defensive ability. That's flatly ridiculous.

He seems to have poor footwork around the bag and has problems coralling throws as most of his errors were missing throws in the AFL. This wouldn't be as much of an issue at 3B...

What?!?! To follow your logic...he'll have a better time fielding balls coming off the bat between 85-100 MPH than he does THROWN balls between 60-80 MPH? Did I get that right? Fielding baseballs at 3B is EASIER than fielding baseballs DELIBERATELY THROWN to you at 1B?!?!

Archived